The Westminster College Carillon originated as a twelve bell chime in 1935. Since that time, the instrument has been expanded to include forty-two bells. As of November 2016, the campus now also has a Student Guild of Carillonneurs, whose goal is to promote the instrument and keep a regular ringing schedule of the bells. Please visit our other pages to learn more about our instrument and our student guild!
- The tower is 160 Feet tall
- There are a total of 62 steps up to the Carillon Cabin
- Total weight of Instrument: 5, 791 lbs
- Largest Bell: 36 inches in diameter, 1,000 lbs, sounds a Concert A#
- Smallest Bell: 7 inches in diameter, 21 lbs, sounds a Concert F
- 1935 - Original installation of 12 bells, instrument classified as a chime
- 1978 - First expansion, total of 35 bells, officially known as a carillon
- 2006 - Latest expansion, total of 42 bells
- Bells cast by the Meneely and the Petit and Fritsen bell foundries.